PROGRAMME ASSISTANT VACANCY
Overall support and assistance in programme coordination and management
Place of Work
70% Erbil, Kurdistan Region of Iraq (KRI)
30% field based work Iraq and KRI
Emergency Response Coordinator (ERC)
Limited financial budgeting and planning
01 August 2017
HUMAN RELIEF FOUNDATION (HRF)
Human Relief Foundation (HRF) is an international, UK based registered charity established in 1991 (UK Charity Commission registration No. 1126281).
HRF’s work has gained international recognition. In April 2003, it was granted Special Consultative Status with the Economic and Social Council of the United Nations. HRF is a signatory of the Code of Conduct for the International Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies and has a partnership agreement with the European Commission Humanitarian Aid (ECHO).
It is a member of the British Overseas National Development Forum (BOND) as well as many other recognised humanitarian bodies and has very good cooperation links with various respected British and international humanitarian aid and development organisations.
With seven permanent relief offices strategically located around the world (Headquarters: Bradford, United Kingdom, Regional Offices: Amman, Jordan; Baghdad and Mosul, Iraq; Islamabad, Pakistan; London, United Kingdom; Mogadishu, Somalia; Nairobi, Kenya; Paris, France), HRF is now able to provide assistance globally whenever and wherever it is needed.
Number of 2016-2017 projects 8
Number of areas 4
Number of national staff 35
Number of offices 4
Number of international staff 3
HRF has a long history of working in post-conflict and post-disaster settings. In fact, since its first operational year in 1991, HRF has continued to respond in a wide geographical range of post-conflict settings from Iraq following the first Gulf War in 1991 up to the current conflict in Iraq and other conflict areas such as Mogadishu, Somalia. It has maintained an office in Mosul for over 25 years. For last 18 months, HRF has focused largely on Emergency Livelihoods and WASH Programmes, with Food and NFI distributions.
The position offered will form part of the team for Human Relief Foundation’s (HRF)
Programme Department in Erbil, Iraq.
Our core focal areas will be:
1. Emergency Livelihoods
2. Emergency WASH
3. Food Security
5. Shelter, NFI and Household Items
7. Multi-Purpose Cash Assistance
To assist the Emergency Response Coordinator in the overall management and coordination of programmes based in Iraq, including, but not limited to, the attendance of cluster meetings and continued donor relationship management and networking.
The ideal candidate will have experience in assisting programme staff in the humanitarian sector, specifically in Iraq. Focusing largely on the above sectors.
MAIN DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Support to programme development, planning and execution
- Maintain a network with the various clusters and cluster coordinators at the UN Offices in Erbil
- Prepare and timetable relevant meetings with donors, partners and government agencies
- Identify and contact new prospective donors for Iraq based programmes.
- Helps to draft programme documents, work plans, budgets, proposals on implementation arrangements.
- Supervise and maintain functionality of programmes department and staff in Erbil, Iraq, as of when ERC is away from posting.
- Collate information from field staff and generate flash reports (situation reports) for presentation to UNOCHA coordination and cluster meetings.
- Prepare for donor/partner/cluster meetings, taking minutes and inputting during meetings
- Participate actively in programme planning process and budgeting of the programme.
- Facilitate in the translation of key documents or the procurement of translation for particular documents by third party companies.
- Facilitate in the procurement of programme material, liaising closely with or without, the Procurement and Logistics Officer.
- Participate, plan and assist in internal and external staff training courses.
|Essential ||Desirable |
- Masters’ degree in any social or natural science discipline, in particular International Development.
- Knowledge and understanding of the Humanitarian Sector and Emergency Response
- Ability to use SPSS software
- Knowledge of participatory research methods, participation action and learning
- Ability to use graphic design software
- Knowledge of Programme Management
- Knowledge of Ninewa Governorate
- Knowledge of KRI Governorates
- Minimum 3 years’ experience in programmes assistance with at least 1 of these years within an international NGO
- Proven experience in engaging with sector clusters/donors/partners in the context of the Iraq Humanitarian field.
- Experience of field data collection
- Experience of report writing
- Proven of experience of proposal writing at a successful level
- Understanding of applying in the Iraq Humanitarian Pooled Fund
- Experience in taking a leading role whilst line manager is absent from posting
- Data collection and management
- Analytical and research skills
- Good command over report writing in English
- Good interpersonal skills
- Excellent computer knowledge with command on MS Excel among other packages of MS Office
- Fluency in Arabic and/or Kurdish in addition to English language will be an added advantage
- Handling data through SPSS
- Presentation skills and ability to speak publicly
- Understanding of monitoring and evaluation techniques and processes
- Time management and ability to prioritise multiple tasks
- Self motivated person able to work without close supervision
- Able to work effectively in a diverse team environment
- Travelling to areas independently for programme related tasks
- Ability to travel between Ninewa and Kurdistan Region Of Iraq
- Able to effectively promote HRF’s mission values, and objectives
- Understanding of HRF’s value system
- Understanding of HRF’s work particularly in Iraq
- Knowledge of HRF’s working areas in Iraq
- Willing to work additional hours at crucial times